(posted 2/15/21 @ 7:30 a.m)
A large number of trees and branches are down across the city, including in parks. City crews will work to assess the situation starting today, Monday 2/15. Please use caution.
Playgrounds and Parks Are Open
On Friday, September 4, 2020, Governor Brown's office updated the Statewide Reopening Guidance for Outdoor Recreation. Playgrounds are open, but equipment is not sanitized. Playground users should comply with social distancing recommendations and practice good hygiene.
Park Facilities that remain CLOSED in Phase 1: High contact sport courts (ex. basketball), shelter reservations
The service rate will go up in January. How will your money be invested?
Park maintenance and recreation programming to support the 2010 voter approved bond for parks and open spaces.
- Acres of Parks and Open Space - 557
- Miles of Trail - 16
- Sports Fields - 10
- Recreation Programs Annually - 90
Key Performance Indicators
- 66% of the national average spent on park maintenance
- 66% of Tigard within a 10-minutes walk to a park
- 22% of parks considered high quality
- 567% increase in participation in recreation activities
Water Reuse at Cook Park – The use of reclaimed water for landscape irrigation will be expanded in Cook Park. Not only does reusing water save money, it saves fresh drinking water too! Even more, this project is currently being designed by an intern in the Engineering division.
Improved efficiency – Increased staffing this year means utility workers can focus on maintenance tasks like:
- Troubleshooting and testing irrigation systems earlier in the spring to fix leaks and improve water efficiency.
- Increased field maintenance, which means less herbicide is purchased and applied to formal sports fields. Healthy fields benefit from the labor and expertise it takes to adhere to a strong turfgrass maintenance schedule (regular soil testing, fertilization, over-seeding, aerification, mowing, irrigation, top dressing, etc.)
- Tree care, new expertise on staff means the city can reduce the amount of work hired out to contractors.