JOBS  |  MAPS  |  Codes  |  CONNECT  |  FORMS  |  CONTACT
  • 79th Ave Corridor Study

Public Works

Traffic Engineering and Management

Traffic Engineering involves design, maintenance, and study of traffic related projects and issues. Working in conjunction with the planning and the police departments, this aspect of engineering emphasizes on safety and the conformance to federal, state and local regulations.

Crosswalk Laws

  • Oregon law requires drivers to stop when a pedestrian is in the crosswalk. In Oregon, any intersection of public streets is considered a crosswalk-whether marked with paint or unmarked.
  • Drivers must stop and stay stopped for pedestrians in crosswalks until they have cleared the driver’s lane and the adjacent lane.
  • When a vehicle is turning, drivers must stop and remain stopped until the pedestrian has cleared the lane into which the driver is turning plus the entire adjacent lane. When turning at a signaled intersection, a driver must allow the pedestrian to clear the lane plus six feet of the adjacent lane.
More information about traffic safety and other important issues affecting motorists and pedestrians can be found at or

Traffic Counts

How are traffic counts used?
Traffic counts provide traffic volume and speed information that is used by council, planners and engineers. The information helps with the planning of future transportation needs, alternate routes, future maintenance needs (such as anticipating when a street would need to be repaved), understanding traffic flow patterns, and evaluating traffic flow and safety issues. 
Developers use this information to determine traffic impacts of new development and the subsequent changes to existing infrastructure which may be needed due to those.  Businesses are often interested to know how many potential customers would drive by a particular site.

What is involved with the data collection?
The City of Tigard uses a radar recorder which is a small black box that is mounted about six feet high on a tree, telephone pole or street light. While the recorder is in place it will track both volume and speed of traffic for a specified period of time. This is virtually undetectable if one is not specifically looking for the equipment.

This data is available to the public and can be accessed through our Tigard Maps.

Neighborhood Traffic Concerns

How do I get a stop light or stop sign on my street?

The city follows State and Federal guidelines, to ensure uniformity in traffic control. The following criteria is reviewed to determine if a sign meets the required warrants:

  • Vehicle and pedestrian volumes
  • Traffic speeds
  • Visibility (sight distance) at the intersection (Are there trees shrubs or other obstructions blocking the view?)
  • Accident history

Often removal of visual interferences proves to be all that is necessary to rectify a problem intersection. If you have a location you feel is problematic please contact Ryan Wickenberg with your concern or request.

How can my neighborhood get speed humps?
The city no longer constructs speed humps or has a speed hump program.  This is due to:

  • The strong negative feedback from the public
  • The negative effects on emergency response time
  • The overall questions regarding the efficiency to reduce vehicular speeds


Ryan Wickenberg
Engineering and Construction Services
Request email notification when page changes Email Me