- Screw Driver
- Crescent Wrench
- Curb Stop Key (if available)
1. Locate your water meter. Water meters are typically installed inside concrete meter boxes and placed close to the street so it can be easily read by a utility staff member.
2. Remove the metal lid of the meter box. A standard screw driver can be used to help lift the lid.
3. On the street side of the meter, locate the oblong knob (as pictured here). This is the main shut-off valve also referred to as the angle stop.
|4. The angle stop has two loops, one on each side. The middle of the angle stop is marked with an arrow, indicating the direction the water is flowing.
5. To turn water off, place the curb stop key over the center of the angle stop. If you do not have access to a curb stop key, you can improvise using a crescent wrench and screw driver by doing the following:
» Place the jaws of a crescent wrench over the angle stop with the handle sticking up.
6. Turn the curb stop key, or make-shift tee handle, clockwise until both loops are together, approximately 180 degrees (as pictured right).