The Community Development Department works with Tigard residents and businesses to develop the many spaces and places that comprise a strong and healthy community.
We strive to:
- Help people build projects that improve both private and public spaces.
- Help bring undeveloped and underdeveloped land into better use.
- Support firms that provide Tigard residents with opportunities, including those that come from having a strong local tax base.
- Strategically invest in creating public spaces for everyone to enjoy.
- Anticipate and plan for future generations of Tigard residents.
The Community Development Department’s work carries out the city’s vision to make Tigard “The most walkable community in the Pacific Northwest where people of all ages and abilities enjoy healthy interconnected lives.”Community Planning
Connecting people to the city and to each other by organizing and coordinating short and long term growth activity. Working hand-in-hand with citizens and developers to imagine new districts and approve final development plans. This division also oversees compliance with the community’s zoning, housing and nuisance codes.
Reviews residential and commercial building plans, issues building permits and inspects construction projects to certify compliance with state and local codes. The division is managed by the building official and is comprised of plans examiners, inspectors, permit technicians and support staff.
Created in 2013 to cultivate the economic potential and resources of the community, this program creates and manages economic development opportunities to help attract, encourage and expand commercial investments in Tigard.
This division oversees urban renewal projects and programs that focus on revitalizing downtown Tigard. Working mostly through public-private partnerships, this work focuses on transforming downtown into a gathering place for all of Tigard.